In a year when the United Nations has declared 2012 as the “International Year of Cooperatives”, Travis Hance, General Manager of the Syracuse Real Food Co-op, was recently selected by the National Cooperative Grocers Association from nominees across the United States, as one of two emerging co-op leaders, under the age of 35, to participate in the “Future Co-op Leaders” program that will be offered as part of the 2012 International Summit of Cooperatives taking place in Quebec City. Hance is part of a group of approximately 230 selected cooperators from all over the world who are participating in this special program. He has also been chosen to introduce to the full Summit, Stephen C. Smith, who is the Director of the Institute for International Economic Policy and is Professor of Economics and International Affairs at George Washington University. Smith received his PHD in economics from Cornell University and has been a Fulbright Research Scholar.
THOSE GHOST – EARTH JAM (RED)
CHEF WILL LEWIS ON SITE PREPARING GREAT FOOD CHOICES
PARTICIPATING VENDORS TO DATE:
SOME WILL BE ON SITE
Chef Will serves up a tasty Watermelon Salad.
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
• 1 (5-pound) watermelon
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
• Salt and pepper
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
• 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
• 6 whole mint sprigs
Cut the flesh from the melon and cut into bite size pieces, removing and
discarding the seeds, and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is
dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, a few drops at a time. Add in the
chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.
In a large bowl, combine the melon, and feta. Pour the dressing over the
melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed.
Garnish with mint sprigs.
To serve, divide salad among individual plates and garnish with mint leaves
- Kevin & Don Travel To Southwest Community Center To Work With SRFC Member Chef Will. Kevin Showed 3 Groups Of Campers (Over 100 Children) The Organic Produce Sold At The Co-op
- SRFC Supplier Grindstone Farm Has Open House At Pulaski Farm
- Member Neena Mitchell With Allan Gandelman & Bob Cat Of Main Street Farms During Aquaponics Demo At Co-op
- Travis Hance of SRFC was recently interviewed by Post Standard food writer Rochelle Bilow about food labels
- Alexis & Sarah At The Co-op Table At The Fleet Feet 5K Run At OCC
- Reina At Co-op Table Painting Faces At Ed Smith School
- Kevin & Scott, The Event Team, At The Greater Strathmore Art On The Porches Event
- Adam Lang, Sixpoint Beer Rep, And Jeremy Have Successful Beer Tasting At The Co-op
- Kevin Says, “Thanks For A Great Plant Sale”
- Two Degrees Representative Kevin Phu Demo’s At The Co-op